Specializing in Business Insurance, Life/Health and Disability Insurance
in AL, AZ, AK, CA, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, LA, ME, MD, MI, MN, MS, NV, NJ, NM, NY, NC, OH, OK, PA, TN, TX, UT, WV, WI
Understanding CO-Insurance
Posted .June 17, 2015

Over the years I have found that one of the biggest gaps on a property policy is the limits of insurance on the building. The building limit is not only underinsured but the client also has Co-Insurance. There is this huge misconception that if the policy states replacement cost that the building is covered to replacement value and that is not entirely accurate. Co-Insurance is on most commercial property policies unless it is waived. So what is Co-Insurance? The word itself describes it perfectly. The owner of the building is coinsuring with the carrier. I will give you an example:

ABC Manufacturing has a building insured for $2 Million with 80% Co-Insurance and a $5K Deductible. The Building is 25,000 square feet. ABC Manufacturing has a fire in one of the clean rooms that has a valued loss of $500,000. The adjuster from XYZ Insurance Company comes out to evaluate the damage. The adjuster has determined that the building was under valued at $2 Million and should have been insured for a minimum of 2.5 Million. The Insurance Company Pays $395K of the claim. The Insured (ABC Manufacturing) Pays $105,000 Why? How?

ABC Manufacturing had a Co-Insurance Clause.

Co-Insurance Formula:

Did/Should x The Loss = What Insurance Company Pays – Deductible

$2,000,000/$2,500,000 X $500,000 = $400,000 – $5,000 = $395K

How does your company prevent this from happening?

Make sure your building is insured properly – On average it is best to estimate the building cost to replace between $100 to $150 per sq ft.

If you have more than one building make sure that you have Blanket Coverage for all Buildings.

Waive Co-Insurance – this may cost you a little more up front on your insurance but cost of building is an ever changing market. The best way to prevent paying a large portion of a loss is to waive the coverage. How do you get the coverage waived?

Contact your broker to have an Agreed Value Endorsement added to your policy.